ILL - Interlibrary Loan
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) through the Howard University Library System
is available to Howard University faculty, students, and staff ONLY.
ILLiad™ , or the InterLibrary Loan internet accessible database, is the new electronic system HULS uses to request materials borrowed through interlibrary loan. With ILLiad, HU patrons can quickly and easily locate and borrow materials not owned by or accessible to HULS via its online, shared Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) Library Catalog.
Before requesting ILL materials, you should conduct a thorough check for them using the SUMMON search engine or ask a HULS Reference Librarian to determine if the materials are available to Howard through the online catalog or otherwise held by HULS libraries.
- Most circulating books and journal articles
Materials that are not owned or unavailable through the Library Catalog.
How Do I Request ILL Materials?
The entire process can be completed online using ILLiad. Access ILLiad from the HULS website via the My Library Account or ILL links on the HULS website homepage and menu bars.
From the My Library Account log-in page:
1. Enter your username (last name), your Howard University ID number (omit the "@" sign; see special instructions for holders of new [2014-on] HU ID cards), and select “Howard University” from the drop-down box.
2. On the next screen, select “Requests,” then “ILL Requests” and click to log in to ILLiad.
From the ILLiad log-in page:
1. Enter your user ID (your Howard University ID number) and your last name (case-sensitive).
2. Upon first signing in, you will be directed to a registration page. You will only have to complete and submit this form one time, but be sure to fill out all fields marked with an asterisk.
3. From the ILLiad homepage, select the type of request desired and follow the prompts to complete the request form. When submitting request forms, be sure to complete all fields marked with an asterisk so that your form can be accepted for processing.
You can also track your ILL borrowing history, manage your ILLiad account, change your profile information, and more from the ILLiad homepage.
What Happens Next?
You will be notified by telephone or e-mail when your materials are available. The average time for receiving requested materials is ten (10) days. ILL materials can be picked up from the Service Desk on the second floor of Founders Library, located at 500 Howard Place NW, Washington DC 20059. Call 202-806-7250 or email email@example.com with inquiries about ILL materials.
How Long Can I Borrow ILL Materials?
Due dates for returning ILL materials are determined by the lending libraries. Borrowed materials should be returned to the Founders Library Service Desk no later than the due date indicated.
Renewals should be requested only in unusual circumstances and at least four (4) days prior to the due date. No renewals will be permitted on or after the due date. All materials borrowed through ILL are subject to immediate recall by the lending libraries.
Borrowers must comply with all regulations and restrictions placed on the requested material by the lending libraries, including those relating to the loan period, renewal, and reproduction. Borrowers assume financial responsibility for overdue fees and/or the replacement of loaned materials lost or damaged while in their possession. Failure to return material borrowed through ILL and/or failure to pay replacement charges will result in the suspension of HULS borrowing privileges.
Does it Cost to Use ILL?
HULS has reciprocal agreements with many libraries and institutions for free borrowing. Materials not available from those institutions may be ordered from other lending or document delivery sources at a fee to be paid by the patron. ILL fees vary according to the policies of the lending institutions.
Need More Information?
Call 202-806-7132 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rules Governing the Use of ILL Materials
Materials available through ILL are governed by conditions set forth in the National Interlibrary Loan Code (1993), and the published policy of participating lending libraries.
Patrons are required to comply with any restrictions placed on ILL materials by the lending libraries.
Interlibrary Loan Services
Founders Library Service Desk
500 Howard Place, NW
Washington DC 20059
Phone: (202) 806-7132
Fax: (202) 806-4622